Chris Nelson, Morning Meteorologist
Chris Nelson is the morning meteorologist at CBS58. Nelson received his Certified Broadcast Meteorologist Seal from the American Meteorological Society, a distinguished seal only a few have in the state. He was also awarded "Best Weathercast" from the Wisconsin Broadcast Association in 2016.
Nelson comes to CBS58 from WSAW-TV in Wausau, WI, where he served as Chief Meteorologist for two years. Prior to that, he worked at KTNV-TV in Las Vegas, NV as the evening weekend meteorologist, and also KMIR-TV as the weekend meteorologist.
Growing up, Nelson was always curious about the weather; watching the Weather Channel and reading the crawl on television during severe weather events. You could say he was (and is) a true weather fanatic! Nelson has seen blizzards, major flooding events, intense heat waves, and brutally cold outbreaks. It was seeing his first Tornado in fourth grade, though that he knew a career in weather was for him.
Nelson was born and lived most of his life in Denmark, WI, a small town about 15 miles southeast of Green Bay. However, he spent seven years living in the Madison area and went to college at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for four years. He received his bachelor's degree in Atmospheric Sciences from UWM and interned across town with John Malan, whom he credits a lot of his success to.
Nelson was actively involved in the community in his past jobs, has served on boards, and also taught a weather class at UW-Marathon County. It's something he plans to bring with him to CBS58.
He, along with his wife Jackelyn, new baby Jack, and dog Toby (named after the dog from Twister), are charmed to be back in the Milwaukee area.
Articles by Chris Nelson
- Less Humid and Cooler for the Weekend
- Southeastern Wisconsin the Target for Severe Storms Thursday
- Tropical Storm Cindy Bringing Flooding and Tornadoes to Deep South
- Storms Fire Tonight and Thursday, Some Severe
- Tonight Marks The Summer Season!
- Lingering Storm System Ushers in Chance of Showers and Storms Today
- 10 tornadoes Hit Wisconsin Wednesday, the Most in One Day in Six Years!
- Calmer Day Today with Heat on the Way!
- 3pm Update - Severe Storms in Progress
- Storms Blasted Through Parts of Southeastern Wisconsin
- Evening Update....New Severe Thunderstorm Watch Until Midnight
- Showers and Storms Tonight, Then Big Heat This Weekend
- Sizzling Temperatures By the Weekend!
- Seasonal Rest of Work Week, 90° Possible By Sunday!
- Big Drop in Temps and Windy Early This Week
- Rainy and Mild Spring Season!
- Rainy Days and Below Average Temps the Story This Month
- Showers and Storms Possible Late Tonight
- Warmer Weekend All Around the Badger State
- Memorial Weekend Will Have a Summer-Feel!
- Rain Chances Continue Today, Ending Soon!
- Slow-Moving Storm Bringing Beneficial Rains
- Warmer Today, Showers & Storms Possible Later
- Major Cool Down on the Way!!!
- Tornado Watch for SE Wisconsin Until 1 AM
- Summer-Like Feel Today!
- Summer-Like Feel Today!