Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Racine Couple Comes Home to Basement Fire

A house fire in Racine caused some significant damage, and big headaches for the home's owner.

"I look in the back door, smoke was just pouring out of the door," said Homeowner Bill Pitchford. 

Bill Ptichford and his girlfriend had just gotten home from an evening in Chicago.

"A nice concert, and then it goes up in flames. I'm losing everything. Everything I worked for is going to be gone," he said. 

Pitchford's basement was on fire.

The Racine Fire Department got there around one o'clock in the morning and were able to put out the flames.

As he watched, he got concerned some of his valuables down there.

"I had a ball signed by all of the 1989 Milwaukee Brewers.That's gone."

Pitchford also said a couple of people were living down in the basement, too.

As investigators figure out how the fire started, Pitchford can only speculate.

In the meantime, he's sleeping at a hotel, while trying to move forward.

"It's over and done with, and I live up to the expectation that hey, it's nothing I can do now. I have to just deal with what's being dealt to me. But I know my life is going to turn upside down for the next few months," he said.

Share this article: