Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Wisconsin boy who nearly lost life may have had same infection caused by dog saliva as West Bend man

WISCONSIN (CBS 58) -- Last week, CBS 58 News told you about a local man who lost limbs because of a dog lick.

New research says the same life-threatening infection may be to blame after a Wisconsin boy nearly lost his life two years ago.

Liam Young was placed in a medically induced coma and had to have his fingers and toes amputated. He survived but his illness remained a mystery until now.

"It's always good having an answer whether we like it or not. It's always good knowing," said Chris Young, Liam's father.

"More than 99% of the people that have dogs will never have this issue. It's just chance," said Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist.

Liam's dad was shocked hearing that Greg Manteufel of West Bend had multiple amputations after the same rare infection.

To donate to the GoFundMe set up for Liam, click here

Share this article:
Save with