Arrowhead staff jumps into action after student collapses in bleachers during basketball game

NOW: Arrowhead staff jumps into action after student collapses in bleachers during basketball game

TOWN OF MERTON, Wis. (CBS 58) -- It's been just over a month since NFL Safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field during a football game. 

His life was saved thanks to the quick actions of emergency responders and a device known as the automated external defibrillator (AED). 

A recent incident closer to home is once again shining a light on the importance of having AEDs in public spaces.

It was an important game for Arrowhead and Catholic Memorial Friday night, Feb. 17., but eyes turned to the stands when one of the students watching the game collapsed. 

According to Hartland Fire Chief Dave Jambretz, the call came in initially as a fainting, unconscious student around 8:18 p.m. 

"It sounded like there was a lot of people around still in the gym area," said Jambretz. 

According to a press release put out by the responding fire crew, an ambulance and EMS arrived within two minutes and 35 seconds. Dispatch advised EMS that staff members at Arrowhead High School were already attaching an AED to the student. 

"The schools have them close to the gyms," said Jambretz. 

All of the schools in the district have AEDs, according to Jambretz, and Arrowhead has multiple. Plus, most teachers are CPR and AED trained. 

This event is an important reminder to everyone to always know where the AED is. 

"Students somewhat," said Jambretz. "Teachers a lot. They're going to be the first ones there performing CPR." 

Thanks to the quick action of the staff at Arrowhead High School, the student was awake and alert when Hartland Fire Department emergency responders arrived, and they were able to assess him. 

"The patient was talking at the time and able to answer questions before the hospital," said Jambretz. 

Hartland Fire Department says they are not able to comment on treatment or status of the patient. But they thanked the staff at Arrowhead High School for the "Exceptional and decisive response" at the game.

We reached out to the staff at Arrowhead for comment, but have not heard back as of Sunday, Feb. 19. 

Share this article: