Police investigating threat made against Mexican Fiesta
MILWAUKEE, WI (CBS 58) – Milwaukee Police are investigating a threat made against Mexican Fiesta.
In just a few days, the Summerfest grounds will come to life with plenty of Mexican food, music, and culture.
While some say the news of the threat has been an eye opener, others say they won’t let it stop them from attending.
The event will kick-off on Friday, which organizers say has nearly a year of planning into it.
About a week before the gates opened, a threat was seen circling social media.
“I hope people don’t stay away from Fiesta because of this threat,” says Ruben Burgos, board president of Mexican Fiesta. “I don’t believe it’s credible.”
Burgos says they received the threat Saturday morning and took it directly to law enforcement.
“There will be new security measures in place,” says Burgos. “Yes, I’m not going to say exactly what details, but the Milwaukee Police Department has all of their assets available to us, and they’ll be there as well as highway patrol.”
Officials say they take every threat seriously, especially after the shooting in El Paso, Texas, where a gunman went into a Walmart allegedly targeting Hispanics and killing 22 people.
For some, that threat hits too close to home.
“Taking it seriously and perhaps ramp up some of the security so people can come out and enjoy,” says Pedro Favela, who attends every year.
“I don’t think any of that is acceptable at all, and I’m going to still celebrate anyway and continue to support,” says Clint Nichols, who attends the event.
The Milwaukee Police Department says they’re aware of the threat and say it’s still under investigation.
“We’re trying to make a very safe event,” says Burgos. “We’ve planned for everything. I don’t believe this is a credible threat, so please come down and enjoy the taste and culture of Mexico.”
Organizers say they had 85,000 people attend the event last year.
The same policies apply this year. No weapons and only small backpacks and purses will be allowed.