DHS confirms case of measles in Waukesha County, first in state this year

NOW: DHS confirms case of measles in Waukesha County, first in state this year
NEXT:

Updated: Jan. 28, 2026

WAUKESHA COUNTY, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A Waukesha County public health spokesperson says more than 300 people have been contacted who may have been exposed to the measles, as of Wednesday, Jan. 28. 

More than 50 people are currently in quarantine. Officials say individuals are placed in quarantine if they have been exposed and are unvaccinated or cannot provide proof of vaccination. 

At this time, there is still only one confirmed case in Waukesha County.


Posted: Jan. 26, 2026

WAUKESHA COUNTY, Wis. (CBS 58) -- The Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) announced Monday, Jan. 26, it has confirmed one case of the measles in a Waukesha County resident. 

Waukesha County Public Health Officer Ben Jones says the resident is an adult and the public risk factor is low due to limited exposure. 

DHS says the case is related to international travel. 

"Every place that this person was, we were able to identify all the people that were exposed, and we contacted them directly," Jones said. 

DHS, along with Waukesha County Health and Human Services, is currently working to identify and notify people who may have come in contact with the virus. 

Jones says the county has contacted more than 100 people, and some have been told to quarantine for 7-21 days. 

"If you're vaccinated, you don't need to worry," Jones said. "I would encourage people to be able to find their vaccination records in these situations. We're asking people for that proof."

This is the first confirmed case of the measles in Wisconsin so far this year. ProHealth Care Dr. Sandra Amadon says the two MMR vaccines last a lifetime.

"If you've had two vaccines in childhood, those vaccines last," Jones said.


Close