Oconomowoc rallies around family displaced by Fiesta Cancun restaurant fire
OCONOMOWOC, Wis. (CBS 58) -- On March 10, the Fiesta Cancun Mexican restaurant in Oconomowoc caught fire, the blaze spreading to attached apartments displacing a family. That family is now slowly getting back on their feet thanks to their community.
Last Friday, Western Lakes Fire District responded to heavy black smoke coming from the back of Fiesta Cancun Mexican restaurant. That fire quickly spread to Dylan Patterson's apartment.
Patterson said if it weren't for his girlfriend Gabby who woke up from the smell of the smoke, he doesn't know where his family would be.
"I woke up, I sat up in bed I smelled around and I'm like 'that doesn't smell any good'. So, I got up out of my bed, I turned the light on and there was just smoke everywhere. I could barely see in front of me," said Patterson.
Patterson, his girlfriend and her two children virtually lost everything. A close friend, along with the community, have helped Patterson and his family back on their feet.
Family friend Leah Grabarz created a GoFundMe for the family.
"Dylan and Gabby would take their shirts off their back for anybody," said Grabarz.
We could not reach Fiesta Cancun for comment but GoFundMe's for their employees and the restaurant were made.