Kenosha Common Council defers vote on controversial casino proposal
KENOSHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- The Kenosha Common Council is kicking the can down the road on the decision to support the building of a casino.
On Monday night, the Kenosha Common Council unanimously voted to defer their vote until Jan. 3, in a surprise move. There have been numerous calls for transparency. They say they feel they've done nothing wrong, nothing illegal, and voted for the deferral to ensure more residents have the opportunity to hear about the casino proposal.
At the center of the controversy is 60 acres of vacant land, just west of I-94 and south of Highway K. Last year, Bristol gave a green light, allowing the plan to build a casino to advance to the next step. Residents spoke against the deal at that meeting in 2022, and the opposition is continuing in Kenosha. A number of residents spoke out at the Kenosha Common Council meeting ahead of the vote.
"You know, the first thing that bothered me about this whole thing, I’m gonna reiterate that, is how much of it was done behind closed doors," said John Bush.
"The only groups that want it are the Menominee, the Seminole, the politicians and the construction trade unions. The citizens who will be affected by this casino don't want it," said Pamela Mundeling.
"You know it's gonna bring crime. It's gonna bring gamblers," said Christopher Klevert.
"I ask you to delay this. I'd love it to stop, but this is not good for Kenosha," said Steven Guillen.
"There's no federal, state or local guidelines that are forcing anybody to make a decision two days before Thanksgiving," said Lorri Pickens, of Citizens Against Expanded Gambling.
All eyes will be on the county Tuesday as the Kenosha County Board takes up the intergovernmental agreement on the casino for a possible vote.