'The force that was used... we believe to be excessive': Jacob Blake's attorney says he wants accountability
KENOSHA, Wis. (CBS58) -- Jacob Blake Jr. is filing a lawsuit against a Kenosha Police Department officer. Officer Rusten Sheskey shot Blake last year, the District Attorney's Office declined to file criminal charges against Sheskey. The shooting incident led to nights of protests.
“It’s more than just somebody going to jail, sometimes justice is monetary, sometimes justice comes later," Justin Blake said, Blake Jr.'s uncle.
Sheskey shot Blake Jr. seven times, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down.
“We’re trying to put forward the facts, the facts are, he had no weapon, he committed no crime and yet he’s paralyzed," Justin Blake said.
The shooting happened Sunday, Aug. 23, 2020. Sheskey and other officers responded to domestic call in the 2800 block of 40th Street. Cellphone video captured Blake Jr. trying to leave the scene. The suit says he walked around to the driver side of the SUV, Sheskey and other officers followed him with their guns drawn. It also says at no point did Blake attempt to strike or verbally threaten any officers.
“The force that was used on August 23, we believe to be excessive," B'Ivory Lamarr said. He is Blake's attorney.
He says the case is not just about money.
“Making sure this doesn’t happen again, holding those involved accountable, changing any kind of processes or procedures that may have led to this," he said.
The Kenosha mayor’s office released a statement to CBS 58:
“The incident has been thoroughly examined by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, and former city of Madison Police Chief and use-of-force expert Noble Wray, based on their findings and independent reports, the city of Kenosha will vigorously defend this case”
CBS 58 reached out to the Kenosha Police Department and Officer Rusten Sheskey’s lawyer. We have not heard back.